I just love chicken you guys. I’ve sang its praises many times in the past on this blog and I maintain that there’s no wrong way to eat it. I don’t eat a lot of red meat in my everyday life and I think that translates to this blog. Sometimes I feel guilty for a lack of variety, but, ultimately, this is my platform to bring readers a sampling of things I enjoy eating, and I would not be authentic to myself if I tried to produce recipes I am not comfortable cooking. With that said, today’s recipe is kind of the “perfect storm” of combinations that this blog is all about. Minimal ingredients, minimal effort, lots of flavor, and low carb. It really doesn’t get easier than this, and you can serve it with practically anything to make it a complete meal.
I began by gathering the above ingredients as well as some ranch dressing, which I forgot to grab for the photo. I decided to use thin-sliced chicken breasts today to shorten the cooking time, but you could easily use standard chicken breasts, and just cook them longer over lower heat.
Next I cracked the eggs in a shallow bowl and used a fork to beat together the yolks and whites. In a separate bowl, I combined the parmesan cheese with some salt and pepper. I dipped each piece of chicken first in the eggs and then in the parmesan mixture until completely coated. I melted the butter and olive oil together over medium heat until hot and then fried each side of the chicken for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
I cooked the bacon in the microwave for 6 minutes until crisp, let them cool slightly, and then crumbled them into small pieces. I also shredded the garlic jack cheese.
Finally I sprinkled the cheese on each piece of chicken and topped them with bacon, and then I placed the baking sheet in the oven under the broiler for 2 minutes to melt the cheese. To serve, you want to squeeze about a tablespoon (or more, if you’re feeling generous) of ranch dressing over the top of each piece of chicken. This is delicious served with a side salad, on top of buttered spaghetti squash, or with a side of zoodles tossed in olive oil and parmesan cheese. It tastes like a kicked up version of chicken parmesan, and I love the crunch of the bacon with the flavorful garlic jack cheese. Really any cheese would be fine with this dish, but I think the garlic jack is a nice boost of flavor. This is such an easy weeknight meal that you’ll never get tired of eating!
Parmesan-Crusted Chicken, Bacon, and Ranch
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 chicken breasts
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- 16oz thin-sliced chicken breasts
- 1c grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2tblsp olive oil
- 1tblsp butter
- 4oz garlic jack cheese, shredded
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 4tblsp ranch dressing
- In a shallow bowl, crack the eggs and beat with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the eggs, and then coat them completely with the parmesan mixture.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil and butter to a large pan.
- Fry each side of the chicken for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Cook the bacon in the microwave for 6 minutes (or until crispy) and then crumble.
- Shred the cheese.
- Place the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle the cheese evenly on each piece; top with crumbled bacon.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven under the broiler for 2 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Finish by drizzling ranch dressing on top.
Per serving: 579 calories, 3g total carbs, 3g net carbs, 41g fat, 49g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)