To me, Sonic is classic road trip food. While you aren’t gonna get a sit down meal, when you need a quick pick-me-up while on a long drive, Sonic is a great stop. Unfortunately, it can be hard to stick to keto while you’re chowing down at Sonic. But there’s no need to worry, our guide will help you eat keto at sonic and make sure you don’t break your macros.
Before eating at Sonic
Sticking to an eating plan like keto will always require a little bit of research and preparation. So, before heading to Sonic it would probably be a good idea to read through the menu beforehand and know what your options are. You can check out the Sonic menu here.
Similarly, if you are being very careful about your macro ratios (whether for dieting or health reasons), you’ll want to have a look at the nutrition information which Sonic also provide.
Unfortunately, sonics nutritional information isn’t that helpful for keto followers as they don’t provide information about macros without the bun, which is why we’ve put together some information to help you further down.
How to eat keto at sonic?
The name of the game here is substitutions. Unfortunately, sonic isn’t that kind of place where you can order a steak or pork chop. All their offering either come in a sandwich or with a bunch of carby sides. So, the key here is to substitute.
- Start with the basics: Get a hotdog or cheeseburger, but make sure to get it without the bun, cheese, and ketchup. Most keto dieters recommend avoiding condiments, so opt for mayonnaise or mustard instead.
- Stay Away From the Sides: The sides at sonic are not keto-friendly. A large order of tater tots has almost 40 grams of carbs, and even something like a side salad has almost 20 grams.
- Enjoy the Drinks: Sonic offers keto-friendly drinks from the classics like Diet Coke to more interesting low carb options like their diet limeades. It’s actually one of my preferred places to get a cold drink just because they have such a wide array of diet options.
- Go with low carb extras: Just because you can’t enjoy the bun, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the toppings. Load up on keto-friendly favorites like bacon, jalapenos, grilled mushrooms or even chilli. This can help you really load up your meal and give it that much needs variety so that you aren’t just eating a naked hot dog.
Best keto meals at sonic
To help you when trying to be keto at sonic, we’ve put together a few meal options you can order today.
- Classic Grilled Chicken Sandwich: no bread (4g) – This classic sandwich features juicy and tender grilled chicken, with a hint of smoky flavor. The sandwich is served without bread, making it a low-carb option with just 4 grams of carbs. Enjoy the taste of a grilled chicken sandwich without the extra carbs.
- Grilled Chicken Wrap: no bread (4g) – A delicious and healthy meal option, this grilled chicken wrap is made with juicy and tender grilled chicken, wrapped up in a delicious and crunchy lettuce leaf. It is served without bread, making it a low-carb option with only 4 grams of carbs.
- Cheeseburger: no bun (8g) – A classic and delicious American meal, this cheeseburger is made with a juicy beef patty and melted cheese. It is served without a bun, making it a low-carb option with just 8 grams of carbs. Enjoy the rich and savory flavor of a cheeseburger, minus the extra carbs.
- Hot Dog With Chili: no bun (6g) – This hot dog is a delicious and hearty meal option, made with a juicy and flavorful beef frankfurter topped with a savory chili sauce. It is served without a bun, making it a low-carb option with just 6 grams of carbs. This hot dog is a great choice for those who love bold flavors and are looking for a satisfying low-carb meal.
Sonic Cravings: What NOT to Indulge In
We’ve compiled a list of items that you should steer clear of on your next Sonic run. These tempting treats are filled with empty carbs, unhealthy sugars, and breading that can quickly put a damper on your diet goals. So, here are the “No-No” items on Sonic’s menu.
- Fried foods – Foods like onion rings, jalapeño poppers, and mozzarella sticks are all coated in breading and high in carbs.
- Carb-loaded sides – French fries, chili cheese tots, and tater tots are all high in carbs and not keto-friendly.
- Sweet treats – From apple sauce to cinnasticks, items that are high in sugar should be avoided while on the keto diet.
- Fried chicken – Jumbo popcorn chicken, chicken strips, and corn dogs are all breaded and fried, making them high in carbs.
- Sandwiches – From crispy sandwiches to grilled cheese, these menu items are usually high in carbs due to the bread and fillings.
- Frozen treats – Ice cream, shakes, and sundaes are all high in sugar and not suitable for a ketogenic diet.
Breakfast items – French toast sticks, chili pie, and any other items that are high in carbs should be avoided for breakfast as well.
At face value, sonic isn’t really the best place to eat when on keto. But if you dig a little below the surface, you can find a number of meals that are keto-friendly. From grilled chicken sandwiches to hot dogs with chili, there is a wide variety of keto-approved meals at Sonic, you just need to make a couple substitutions.