Breakfast casseroles that allow for leftovers that easily double for lunch at work are some of my favorite dishes to create, as seen in my previous recipe for a spinach and mozzarella egg bake. Today I decided to give readers a hearty and spicy sausage-filled casserole. This egg bake has the perfect amount of zip from the jalapeño, bite from the green onions as well as a plethora of cheesy goodness in addition to the breakfast sausage and eggs. It is a great Sunday morning treat for your family (especially for those of you who celebrate Easter) or would even be a wonderful dish to bring to a potluck brunch gathering. As with my other recipes, this requires very little prep work before baking begins yet is full of flavor and really delicious.
I started by gathering my ingredients and pre-heating the oven to 350°F.
Next I finely diced some green onions, both the tops and a few slices of the white ends. If your preference is the tops only, feel free to omit the white part.
I also removed the seeds and diced one medium jalapeño into small pieces.
I melted the butter in a skillet over medium high heat and cooked the sausage until golden brown on the outside; this took approximately 10 minutes. While the sausage was cooking, I shredded the pepper jack cheese.
Once the sausage was fully cooked I roughly chopped the links. The pieces should be large enough to be noticeable in the casserole but not too large to require further cutting by anyone eating the dish.
I sprayed an 8×8 glass baking dish with non-stick spray and began layering my casserole. I started with the cooked breakfast sausage on the bottom, added the shredded pepper jack and cheddar cheese on top of the sausage and finished the layers with the green onions and jalapeños.
I cracked the eggs into a large mixing bowl before adding the heavy cream, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. The eggs should be seasoned to your liking.
I used a whisk to beat the eggs and cream together until all ingredients were fully incorporated.
Carefully I poured the egg mixture on top of the other layers, ensuring even coating throughout the casserole dish. The eggs will rise slightly as they bake so be sure to leave some room at the top of the casserole dish. The casserole baked for 40 minutes until the center was fully set and the top was golden brown. Fresh out of the oven, this casserole is cheesy and spicy with just the right amount of sausage in each bite. It really is perfect for any time of day, not just breakfast, and leftovers are great warm or even cold. What is your favorite dish to make for a holiday breakfast? Let me know in the comments below!
Jalapeño Sausage Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Serving Size: 1
- 8 links breakfast sausage
- 1tblsp butter
- 3tblsp green onions, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño, diced
- 1c shredded cheddar cheese
- 3oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1/2c heavy cream
- Red pepper flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Dice the green onion tops and, if desired, some of the white ends.
- Finely dice the jalepeño.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a skillet.
- Cook the sausage links until browned on all sides; roughly chop the sausage into bite-size pieces.
- Shred the pepper jack cheese.
- Spray an 8×8 glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer the sausage on the bottom of the dish; top with both the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses.
- Sprinkle the green onions and jalapeños on top of the cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk the eggs together until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour the eggs over the other layers.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle and the casserole is golden brown on top.
Per serving: 592 calories, 3g total carbs, 3g net carbs, 50g fat, 31g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)