Sunday brunch is one of the best meals of the week, especially if you can pull together some quick and easy dishes to serve your family and other guests. I am a huge fan of “egg bakes” (as I call them) and have plenty of varieties on my website. Today I wanted to drag out my cast iron skillet and try to create a frittata that is creamy, flavorful and easy to put together for a special weekend breakfast (or even weeknight dinner). It’s so easy to play around with the flavors of frittatas – you can throw in any proteins or veggies you want and they will be delicious, trust me!
I began by gathering my ingredients and pre-heating the oven to 350°F.
First I cooked the bacon in the microwave between two sheets of paper towels for 7 minutes until crispy and let them cool. While the bacon cooked, I sliced the jalapeño in half, removed the seeds, and then diced it into small pieces. You can leave some of the seeds in if you’d like a spicier dish (or use more jalapeños).
I also thinly sliced both the green and white ends of some green onions for added color and flavor in the dish and set both aside.
I took a knife and cut the cream cheese into cubes before adding it to a medium mixing bowl. I poured in a splash of heavy cream and half of my shredded cheddar cheese and put it in the microwave for approximately 1 minute and 30 seconds until the cheeses melted.
While the cheeses were in the microwave, I cracked 8 eggs into a large bowl, added salt, pepper and heavy cream and used a whisk to beat them together until fully incorporated.
I spooned the melted cream cheese + cheddar cheese on the bottom of the skillet. I wanted to keep some larger pieces of cream cheese to avoid it being a liquid on the bottom of the pan.
Next I crumbled the bacon into bite-sized pieces and layered it evenly over the cream cheese before sprinkling the jalapeños and green onions over top.
I poured the eggs on top of the other ingredients and added the remainder of my cheddar cheese on top; I baked it in the oven for 35 minutes until the eggs were fluffy and fully set in the middle. The top was nicely golden and the inside was gooey, cheesy and totally delicious. This would be wonderful served with some roasted veggies, berries and maybe some low carb muffins for a huge feast, but is great on its own for a weeknight dinner, too. I love the combination of bacon, jalapeños and cheese in just about anything, and this is no egg-ception. What flavors do you love to combine with eggs? Let me know in the comments!
- 8 eggs
- 1/2c heavy cream
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1/4c green onions
- 1c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6oz cream cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon in your preferred method - I put mine in the microwave for 7 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the seeds and dice the jalapeño.
- Thinly slice both the green and white ends of the green onions.
- Cut the cream cheese into chunks place in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2c of cheddar cheese and a splash of heavy cream. Microwave approximately 90 seconds until melted.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the heavy cream, salt and pepper. Whisk until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the cream cheese mixture on the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Break the bacon into bite-sized pieces and layer on top of the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the jalapeños and green onions on top of the bacon.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the top.
- Add the remaining 1/2c of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the eggs are fully set and the top is golden.
Per serving: 357 calories, 2g total carbs, 2g net carbs, 31g fat, 19g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!