I hope everyone in the US enjoyed their Thanksgiving and are ready for the holiday season. This is the time of year that can be tricky to stick to a low carb way of eating, but I know with all the resources out there on the internet you’ll be able to succeed. I’ve often thought about posting a round-up of my favorite low carb blogs I’ve bookmarked over the last two years, but I’m not sure if my readers would be interested in that – please let me know if that’s something you’d like to see in the comments! Today’s recipe would be a great easy snack or even a lowkey appetizer or Superbowl party-appropriate dish. I love how simple it is to make yet how delicious and cheesy it is when it’s done.
I started by gathering my ingredients and pre-heating the oven to 400°F.
I sliced the ends off the zucchini and then cut slits about 3/4 inch apart down the length of the vegetable. It’s important to cut these relatively deep in order to stuff the cheese and pepperoni in them later, but you don’t want to cut them so far that the zucchini rip. If they should break, fear not – you can still enjoy this all the same.
I brushed the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper before roasting them in the oven for 25 minutes until soft and tender. I tried to pull the sections apart slightly so the oil and seasonings coated the flesh of the zucchini and not just the skin.
While the zucchini roasted, I sliced the pepper jack into small squares. I probably made these a little too thick and would recommend slicing them slightly thinner than shown above.
Next I pulled the zucchini out of the oven and let it cool until it could be handled, about 10 minutes. I wrapped each piece of cheese in a slice of pepperoni by forming the pepperoni into a taco shell shape. Then they were stuffed between each slice of zucchini. I placed the zucchini back in the oven and broiled them for about 5 minutes until the cheese was melted and the zucchini was re-heated. These are gooey and tender and totally addicting. I could even eat them as an easy weeknight meal for dinner!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Serving Size: 1
- 3 medium zucchini
- 20-24 pieces pepperoni
- 3oz pepper jack cheese
- 1tblsp olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the ends off each zucchini and then make slices approximately 3/4 inch apart throughout the vegetables. Be careful to not cut all the way through; they should still be in tact at the bottom.
- Brush the zucchini with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes until tender – let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the pepper jack cheese into small squares.
- When the zucchini is cool enough to touch, wrap each piece of cheese in a slice of pepperoni and stuff them between each slice of zucchini.
- Broil an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is re-heated.
Per serving: 272 calories, 7g total carbs, 5g net carbs, 22g fat, 12g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)