I love the flavors of cheeseburgers even on a low carb diet. I think it’s sort of a classic American comfort food and is usually pretty easy to throw together for dinner. The obvious bunless burger is a great low carb choice, or you could try my cheeseburger casserole, but today I wanted to create a calzone stuffed with cheeseburger goodness. The calzone can be tweaked to your liking; you could make a traditional pizza calzone filled with pepperoni, sausage, low carb veggies and cheese or you could make an endless array of calzone fillers using different proteins and vegetables. Today’s cheeseburger calzone is kid-friendly, too!
I began by pre-heating my oven to 425°F and gathering the ingredients shown above.
Next I made the calzone crust using the Fathead Pizza Crust recipe. I have detailed instructions on how to make this in my Buffalo Chicken Pizza recipe.
I diced a small yellow onion and set it aside. Over medium heat I added my ground beef to a pan to brow and cook through.
I cooked four strips of thick cut bacon in the microwave for 5 minutes between two paper towels, let them cool and then crumbled them into bite-sized pieces before setting them aside.
The final prep step was to chop the dill pickle spears into large pieces. I like leaving them bigger to add texture to the recipe.
Once the ground beef was nearly fully cooked, I added the yellow onions and cooked them until they softened.
I added the bacon, pickles, cream cheese, mayonnaise and cheddar cheese and stirred until all the cheese melted together to form the calzone filling.
I rolled out the pizza dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and scooped about half of the mixture into the center. I folded up the sides and pulled both ends to the center to form a calzone shape. This recipe makes enough cheeseburger filling to make two calzones, so I recommend making either two crusts or half of the cheeseburger mix depending on your needs. I baked the calzone for 20 minutes until golden brown. I recommend letting it sit 10 minutes to cool slightly before cutting into long strips. The cheeseburger mix is delicious and the dough holds up well with the filling inside. This would pair wonderfully with a simple side salad for dinner. Be careful to not over-fill the calzone or the ends won’t meet in the middle to close. What do you like inside your calzones? Share with me in the comments below.
- 1.5lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2c yellow onion, diced
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- 4 dill pickle spears
- 8oz cream cheese, separated
- 1c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2c mayonnaise
- 1c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1c almond flour
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- Make the pizza crust by mixing the mozzarella cheese and 4 ounces of cream cheese together; microwave about 35 seconds until the cheese melt. Add the almond flour and egg to the cheese and mix until it forms a dough; set aside.
- Over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned.
- Cook the bacon in your preferred method; I put mine in the microwave for 5 minutes until crispy. Let cool, break into small pieces and set aside.
- Dice the yellow onion; add to the ground beef until softened.
- Chop the dill pickle spears.
- Add the bacon, pickles, 4 ounces of cream cheese, mayonnaise and cheddar cheese to the ground beef. Stir until all cheeses are melted and fully incorporated.
- Roll out the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spoon the cheeseburger mixture into the center of the dough.
- Fold up the sides and pull the ends over into the center so it is closed.
- Bake about 15 minutes until golden brown. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
Per serving: 580 calories, 5g total carbs, 3g net carbs, 47g fat, 34g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!