Many people who begin a low carb lifestyle attempt to re-create their favorite high carb foods with low carb replacements. Bread, pasta and desserts are most commonly turned into mini science experiments in the kitchen as cooks try to replicate their favorite flavors in a healthier way. Today I wanted to attempt to replace tater tots with a keto-friendly alternative: cauliflower. Admittedly, these are not going to have exactly the same crunch as tater tots do, but these are a really great option when looking for a replacement for that style of potatoes.
I began by pre-heating my oven to 375°F and gathering the ingredients shown above.
First I finely minced the yellow onion into small pieces. Since these will be folded into the cauli tots, you don’t want them to overwhelm the tots, so the smaller they are cut the better.
Next I began breaking down the cauliflower florets into small pieces. Since these are going into a food processor, they don’t need to be cut evenly. I poured the cauliflower into a mixing bowl, added water and steamed it in the microwave for 5 minutes until hot and tender.
Once the cauliflower was finished steaming, I added it to my food processor along with the pork rinds and heavy cream. I pulsed all three ingredients together for about 10-15 seconds until it appeared as shown above. It should not be wet, but it should hold together when pressed between your fingers.
To the cauliflower mixture I added the minced onions, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, the egg, salt and pepper.
I mixed all the ingredients together with a spatula until they were thoroughly combined and holding firm.
Next I used my hands to form the mixture into tater tot shapes. This part of the process is a little tedious but only takes 5-10 seconds per piece. I lined them up on a foil-lined (and greased) baking sheet and then baked them in the oven for 20 minutes. Once they were cooked through I turned the broiler on high for 3 minutes to add some golden color to the tops before pulling them from the oven. The cauli tots are tender, a little cheesy and have a bite from the minced onion. They were be perfect next to a bunless burger or some grilled chicken. Although they take a little time to put together, the finished product is truly delicious. What are your best low carb replacement meals? Let me know in the comments!
- 4c raw cauliflower, chopped
- 9 pieces pork rinds
- 1/4c water
- 2tblsp heavy cream
- 1c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2c shredded parmesan cheese
- 1oz yellow onion, diced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2tsp parsley flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F; line a baking sheet with foil and spray with a non-stick spray.
- Finely mince the yellow onion.
- Chop the cauliflower into manageable pieces; pour them into a mixing bowl and add the water before steaming for 5 minutes in the microwave until tender.
- Add the steamed cauliflower, pork rinds and heavy cream to a food processor; pulse 10-15 seconds until all ingredients are combined and mixture holds together.
- To the processed cauliflower add the shredded cheddar cheese, yellow onion, egg, parsley flakes, salt and pepper. Stir with a spatula until fully combined.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into tater tot size and shaped pieces.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the broiler on high for 3 minutes until golden brown.
Per serving: 227 calories, 7g total carbs, 4g net carbs, 16g fat, 13g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!