With Memorial Day fast-approaching in the United States, I thought I’d write up a recipe for a party-friendly appetizer in case you’re headed to a bbq or other gathering next weekend or really any time this summer. Enter the Buffaflower (I may be biased, but I just really love that I came up with that name!). Buffalo wings are a classic staple at bars, restaurants, and parties, and you can certainly make your own low carb version of those. These Buffaflower Bites are a fun new twist on the party classic – crispy, vegetarian, easy to make and (obviously) delicious, these will win over anyone who may be a low carb naysayer or skeptical of cauliflower in general.
I began by pre-heating my oven to 400°F and gathering the necessary ingredients for this recipe.
Next I cut the head of cauliflower into small florets.
I added the cauliflower to my food processor and pulsed until it was finely shredded. This really only takes 5-10 seconds at most with a high-power processor; you want to avoid turning this into cauliflower mash, it should be closer to rice in consistency.
In a large bowl I mixed the cauliflower, cheese, egg, almond flour, salt, and buffalo sauce until combined. It should not be too wet, so if you feel your mixture is, add a little more cheese or almond flour (careful on the flour, because the carbs can add up quickly).
I sprayed a parchment paper-lined baking sheet with non-stick spray and measured out heaping spoonful-sized portions onto the tray. Using the back of the spoon I pressed down slightly as I wanted these to be more in the shape of a fritter and not a tater tot. They will get more crispy that way, too! Do not use foil or they will stick. I baked them for 15-20 minutes, removed them from the oven to flip them, and baked them another 15-20 minutes to get a lovely golden brown color on both sides. You can serve this with more buffalo sauce or with ranch or blue cheese dressing for an authentic experience. When choosing a buffalo sauce, be sure to check the labels. I found this bottle of Moore’s Original Buffalo Wing Sauce at my local grocery store – it’s gluten-free and has zero carbs! They also had a buffalo wing + ranch combination sauce that I may try next time. I love how easy this is to throw together but also how satisfying the taste is. You won’t miss the chicken wing when you bite into one of these Buffaflowers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 20-25 bites
Serving Size: 7-8 bites
- 3c cauliflower, shredded
- 1c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2c almond flour
- 3tblsp buffalo wing sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets.
- Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it is finely shredded, resembling rice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cauliflower, cheese, egg, almond flour, buffalo wing sauce, and salt until combined but not too wet.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Measure heaping spoonfuls of the mixture out onto the baking sheet and press down slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Flip each bite over and bake another 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Service with more buffalo wing sauce, ranch, or blue cheese dressing.
Per serving: 319 calories, 10g total carbs, 6g net carbs, 24g fat, 18g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)