Autumn is here and that means comfort food season is upon us! I am so grateful we are past the warm weather and am looking forward to leaves changing colors, sweater weather, and the holidays. I have posted several pizza recipes on this blog in the past and they are always a big hit. There’s something about pizza on a Friday or Saturday night (or during game day, this time of year) that makes the weekend even better, and I’m so happy low carb crusts exist and make enjoying pizza possible even on a ketogenic diet.
I began by pre-heating the oven to 425°F and gathering the above ingredients.
First I melted the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese together in the microwave for about 90 seconds. I then stirred in the almond flour, eggs, and some salt and pepper to create the dough. If you think your dough is too wet, add a little extra almond flour a tablespoon at a time. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, I spread the dough out into a large rectangle and baked it for 12 minutes until slightly golden brown, and then let it cool slightly.
While the crust was baking, I thinly sliced both the leeks and onions. I also cooked the bacon in the microwave until it was crispy, let it cool, crumbled it, and set it aside. I softened more cream cheese in the microwave, added the garlic and herb cheese, and mixed them together along with salt and pepper.
Over medium-low heat I sauteed the leeks and onions in olive oil until tender and slightly caramelized.
I spread the cheese mixture evenly across the crust, spooned out the leeks and onions, and topped it with the crumbled bacon. I returned the pizza to the oven for 10 more minutes to let everything come together. The texture from the leeks and onions as well as the richness from the cheese (and of course the crunchy bacon) make this a delicious, unique pizza perfect for autumn weather. I love how flavorful the pizza is while still being low carb, and I don’t miss marinara at all.
Bacon Leek Pizza
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
Yield: 8 slices
Serving Size: 2 slices
- 1c almond flour
- 6oz cream cheese
- 1c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2oz cream cheese
- 3oz garlic and herb cheese spread (I used Boursin)
- 1.5oz leeks
- 2.5oz yellow onion
- 1tblsp olive oil
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
- Melt 6 ounces of the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese together in a large mixing bowl in the microwave for approximately 90 seconds.
- Add the almond flour, eggs, salt, and pepper and stir to form a ball of dough.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, spray with non-stick spray, and use a spatula to form the dough into a long, even rectangle.
- Bake for 12 minutes until slightly golden brown and set in the middle.
- While the crust is baking, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the bacon in the microwave until crispy; crumble and set aside.
- Thinly slice the leeks and onion and saute until tender and slightly caramelized.
- In a bowl, soften the remaining cream cheese in the microwave; add the garlic and herb cheese and mix.
- Spread the cheese on the crust, spoon the leeks and onions on top of the cheese, and finish with the crumbled bacon.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes.
Per serving: 651 calories, 12g total carbs, 9g net carbs, 57g fat, 23g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)