One of the most popular recipes on my blog is my Creamy Brussels Bake, so I wanted to try to bring a lighter version of the recipe to my readers without all the cream cheese. This variation on that side dish adds a hearty portion of bacon, a salty, crunchy addition that tastes fantastic paired with the Brussels sprouts. This is a great summer alternative to my original dish that is better served in the winter months.
I gathered the recipe’s ingredients and pre-heated the oven to 400°F.
Next I diced the yellow onion and set it aside in a bowl.
I washed the sprouts and then began their preparation by removing the stems and outer leaves. I cut the sprouts in half or in thirds, depending on their size, so that I was left with bite-sized pieces.
I arranged the Brussels sprouts on a foil-lined baking sheet, seasoned them with salt and pepper and then drizzled olive oil on top. I made sure every sprout was coated in oil so they would not burn in the oven. I roasted them for 15 minutes.
While the sprouts were in the oven, I cooked the bacon in the microwave until crispy and broke it into small pieces.
I then melted the butter over medium heat and sauteed the onions until translucent before adding the bacon to the pan for the last minute. This simply re-heated the already-cooked meat and coated it in some buttery goodness (a very scientific term).
After 15 minutes the sprouts were nicely caramelized.
I added them to a large mixing bowl along with the bacon and onions. I poured a little heavy cream and some parmesan cheese into the mix and stirred until all ingredients were thoroughly combined.
I sprayed a glass pie dish with non-stick spray and evenly poured the sprouts into the dish before topping them with shredded parmesan cheese. I placed them back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes until the top was golden brown. These sprouts are so tender and juicy while taking on the flavor of the onions and bacon. These would be delicious paired with grilled chicken or a bunless burger during these hot summer months. I even thoroughly enjoyed them the next day cold, straight out of the fridge! Hope you enjoy the re-make of my classic recipe.
- 3c Brussels sprouts
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/2c yellow onion
- 1tblsp butter
- 2tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tblsp heavy cream
- 1/2c shredded parmesan, divided evenly
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Dice the yellow onion; set aside.
- Remove stems of the sprouts and slice in half or in thirds until each is in bite-sized pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and add the sprouts to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roasted for 15 minutes until caramelized.
- Cook the bacon in your preferred method (I microwave mine).
- Add butter to a pan and melt over medium heat.
- Cook yellow onions until translucent - add the bacon to slightly re-heat; add both ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon the roasted sprouts into the mixing bowl and add the heavy cream and 1/2 of the parmesan cheese; stir until combined.
- Spray a glass pie dish with non-stick spray and add the sprouts mixture to the pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
Per serving: 217 calories, 4g total carbs, 2g net carbs, 17g fat, 10g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!