Today I have another winning casserole dish for my readers. It’s very easy to put together and kind of reminds me of my [extremely popular] Creamy Brussels Bake. This could easily be translated into a vegetarian dish (omit the bacon….but, honestly, why would you want to do that?) should you so desire, but I think the bacon acts almost like croutons in this dish; its crunchy texture is delicious mixed with the softened broccoli and gooey cheese.
I began by pre-heating my oven to 350°F and gathering the ingredients shown above.
First I diced the yellow onion into small pieces and set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
I also chopped up the tops of some green onions and added them to the mixing bowl as well.
Next I cooked three strips of bacon in the microwave for 4 minutes (on a plate between two sheets of paper towels) and let them cool before crumbling them and setting them aside.
I took two large bunches of broccoli and began rough-chopping the florets off the stalks. Once I had a nice pile of broccoli I then chopped them into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Since the broccoli is not being steamed or boiled before going in the oven, you don’t want the pieces to be too large or they will be hard when they come out.
I added the broccoli, a brick of softened cream cheese (I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds on its own) and 1/2 of the shredded cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl with the onions. I also added some salt and pepper.
Using a spatula I mixed all the ingredients together until the cream cheese evenly coated all the broccoli and the onions and cheddar cheese were distributed throughout the mixture.
I sprayed an 8×8 glass baking dish with non-stick spray and poured the mixture into the bottom, spreading it evenly to all four corners. I sprinkled the crumbled bacon over the top.
I took the remaining cheddar cheese and added it to the dish on top of the bacon before baking it for 25 minutes in the oven until the cheese was melted and slightly browned along the edges. This dish is fantastic! The broccoli becomes slightly tender yet still holds up after the cooking process. The onions and bacon really bring out big flavor in such a simple dish and, of course, cheese makes everything better. I love these kind of one-dish recipes that require little effort but result in a meal (or perhaps a side dish) that is really delicious and a crowd-pleaser. How do you like to eat your broccoli? Let me know in the comments below!
- 6c fresh broccoli, chopped
- 8oz cream cheese
- 3oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 1oz yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4c green onion, diced
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Chop the yellow and dice the green onions; add to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Use your preferred method to cook the bacon. I cook mine between two sheets of paper towels on a plate in the microwave for 4 minutes until crispy. Let cool and then crumble; set aside.
- Chop the broccoli florets off the stalks and into smaller pieces; add to the mixing bowl with the onions.
- Soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds; add to the mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 of the shredded cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl along with salt and pepper.
- Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients together.
- Spray an 8x8 glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into the baking dish; top with the crumbled bacon and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden brown.
Per serving: 189 calories, 6g total carbs, 4g net carbs, 15g fat, 9g protein (Note: Please remember these numbers are based on the brands I used and may vary slightly with other brands.)
© 2014 Butter Is Not a Carb
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to read more like it!